After a six-month inquiry into his behavior, Mason Greenwood and Manchester United have mutually decided that Mason Greenwood will leave the organization.
After criminal charges against the football player were dropped in February, United opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Greenwood’s detention on suspicion of rape and violence.
Following the online distribution of pictures and an audio clip, Greenwood was detained in January 2022.
Mason, 21, will leave Old Trafford, United said in a statement on Monday, adding that they had “concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect to which Mason Greenwood was originally charged.”
Greenwood’s contract, which is still in effect until 2025, hasn’t been cancelled, according to sources who spoke to ESPN, but Mason Greenwood isn’t likely to play for the team again. According to insiders, United will take into account loan proposals as well as a long-term relocation.
“All those involved, including Mason, recognize the difficulties with him resuming his career at Manchester United,” stated the statement released by the club.
Therefore, it has been decided that doing so outside of Old Trafford would be most suitable. We will now work with Mason to make that happen.
Greenwood stated he “did not do the things I was accused of” in a separate statement, but acknowledged that the choice to quit United was “best for us all.” He has been prohibited from training and games since his initial arrest.
According to sources speaking to ESPN, he will continue to receive his full salary while the club looks for him a new club, but Mason Greenwood won’t be permitted to train at Carrington, not even for a separate program away from Erik ten Hag’s first-team squad.
“I fully accept that I made mistakes in our relationship, and I accept responsibility for my part in the events that led to the social media post,” Mason Greenwood said in his statement.
In the course of the club’s investigation, according to Arnold, “alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online” had been supplied, and the woman’s family had taken part in the process.
Arnold stated, “While I am confident that Mason did not conduct the crimes for which he was charged, Mason’s admitted that he has made mistakes for which he accepts responsibility.
“I am also aware of the difficulties Mason would encounter while trying to restore his career and raise a child with his partner under the harsh spotlight of Manchester United. Additionally, this case has sparked strong opinions, and it is my duty to prevent any diversion from the club’s goal of unification.
Read : Anthony Davis Wife
“Even if we have decided that Mason will try to revive his career outside of Manchester United, this situation is far from over. The club will continue to provide assistance to Mason and the alleged victim so they may mend their relationships and move forward with their lives.
A group of senior executives conducted United’s probe after the criminal case was dismissed, and their findings were given to Arnold.
According to sources who spoke to ESPN, the club does not believe Greenwood physically mistreated the lady and does not think he was guilty of coercive behavior based on their discussions with the woman’s mother.
The woman was given the chance to address any results but did not interact directly with the club, sources claim.
ESPN was informed by sources that in April 2022, the woman dropped her accusations and her assistance for the police probe.